Resetting a Token
Sometimes tokens get leaked by accidental copy & paste into Slack, or by commiting the
.pos file into version control. We have taken steps to minimize the impact of leaked tokens through the following:
- Tokens are per-instance, per-user. Meaning if you leak your token for one environment, whoever finds it will only be able to impact this one environment.
- Tokens can be quickly deleted/turned off on an environment basis in the Partner Portal.
How to delete my token
- Go to your account settings in Partner Portal at https://partners.platformos.com/me/
- Click the "Tokens" button
- Find your Instance name on the list of all your tokens
- Click the "Delete" button associated with the Instance
How to generate a new token
To generate a new token, you need to add the environment again in the same way as you did for the first time:
pos-cli env add --email <your email> --url <url> <enviornment>
If you name your environment the same as before, it will be overwritten with the new token.
Read more about using the pos-cli.
Before August 19, 2020 tokens were global, so resetting your token will turn off this token for all your environments. After August 19, 2020 environments added using pos-cli are scoped to only this one environment, so it is enough to delete the token for that one environment and re-add it.
How to know if my token is current or legacy?
- Currently tokens consist of lowercase and uppercase letters, numbers, underscore (_), dashes (-) and are 43 characters long.
- Legacy tokens contain only lowercase letters and numbers and are 40 characters long.